Monday, August 29, 2011

You Better Shop Around...

Why do we just walk in to a store and buy something without shopping around nowadays? I have had a few things happen recently that made me open up my eyes and realize that thing have really changed and there is no reason to pay full price for things.

My poor computer would not come on last week. I had been having some issues with it. Well - Ok - I was having to plug it in and wrap the cord underneath the computer and occasionally apply pressure with my left thumb while typing to make sure the battery wouldn't die. So I knew this was coming. Scott took it into Best Buy to make sure the cord was an issue and found that indeed it was. All he had to do was pay $68.00 and I would have full access to my computer again. Great right? Not really. That seemed a bit steep for a power cord so Scott asked me to use my magic Google powers to see if I can find one for less. Thank goodness for our Android phones - I started my search. It took me about 3 minutes to find one that was cheaper. $2.81. Yes. The number is correct that is how much I found a NEW computer power cord that was compatible to my computer for. YES I did have to pay $7 in shipping but I was ok with that. Why would anyone pay $68 for something that they could get for $2.81 and it took minutes to figure that out? Now if it was $12 I may have just got it there - I am a sucker for service and putting a face to things usually. If I have to pay a little more but have the comfort of a person that is able to talk me through things I would go for it. But this was a POWERD CORD people!!!!

OK Scenario #2. We are putting a TV in the basement to watch football on this fall. We didn't have one there before so we called the cable company to get a second DVR HD receiver. (OR something like that - I am not very good at TV talk unless we are talking about hGtv or the food network.) I am not sure exactly what happened but with a small mention of switching to another company - and with out an argument or anything - someone was coming out to get us the receiver plus some sports stations for life, movie channels for a few months and a lower monthly bill. What? So I just had to call in and name drop another company and I get more for less? Why didn't I do this 5 years ago? Why don't I do this every year?

My 3rd savings situations. I got a Cricut. Yes, I LOVE it. It is so much fun and I can do so much with it. I figured it will be an investment for when the kids are in school and such. It was expensive but when I found it on sale for 1/2 off I jumped on it. Then I say that the cartridges were about $40 - $90 a piece! What? That is more then I payed for the machine. I panicked and was having buyers remorse until I pulled up my friend e-bay. The same things. In the packaging. Never used. For $8 to $15.00? OK - (big breath) that I can handle. Thank you again technology of shopping different venues.

Then it hit me on the way into work today. I sell Insurance. I am an independent agent. Shopping Around is what I do. Before I was in this world I never thought twice about my insurance bill. It came, it was paid, I had proof of insurance, no need to question it. Then I met this handsome guy who looked at my insurance and not only let me know that I was way over insured but even apples to apples I was paying way too much. WHAT????? Was someone ripping me off? No. I just was naive and didn't know that you could shop your rates. Why didn't I question this before? Not sure. I know so much more now. I love my job. I love being able to help people and save them money. There have been so many people that we have been able to save a hundred - even a thousand dollars a year on their insurance and that makes me feel good. So I ask you - are you just paying the bills when they come? Are you buying that $68 cord just to make things work? Or do you need a little help shopping around?

No comments:

Post a Comment